The £450 a month challengeJuly 15, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Posted in Daily Life | 4 Comments
Tags: Cost savings, Maternity leave, money making ideas
I am embarking on some hardcore saving.
In December, our second child will arrive and being self-employed I don’t have the luxury of a decent maternity pay.
So, I put pen to paper, totted up what I’ll receive in statutory maternity pay (£500 per month), plus the earnings I’ll get on a residual basis from my business and compared that to a figure I felt comfortable with to live off each month with a newborn baby, a four-year old and a large mortgage.
Yes, I am lucky to have a husband to support me, he pays a larger share of the bills and mortgage than me, however we contribute jointly to our family outgoings so my income will remain and important consideration.
Having decided that I don’t want to be housebound for my short maternity leave, I was left with a figure of £2250 in total to save between now and December. If I save what I should do in July, I’ll be £450 of the way there – except it’s half way through the month and so far I’ve made £30. Yup thirty quid from selling a car seat on Gumtree. Shite.
The thing is, and call me selfish/ridiculous/optimistic, whatever you like, but I don’t want to scrimp and save, I want to earn extra money. So I’m looking for inspiration.
I’m all for cutting costs – I’ve stopped using the tumble dryer and I’m meal planning like a military chef, but I don’t want to give up the things I enjoy – Costa hot chocolate, nice beauty products or clothes – and I need clothes, my waistline is expanding on a daily basis and we all know that a lack of properly fitting clothes coupled with pregnancy hormones spells the start of a very bad day.
So what do I do? You may still be calling me absurd/blinkered/dumb, but this is the decision I’ve come to and I’m sticking to it.
So I gotta make some cash.
So far, here’s are the concepts I’ve come up with.
- Gumtree sales – old clothes, old toys, CDs and DVDs – maybe £100. Not enough.
- Blog ads. Must investigate.
- Google adwords. Must find out rules – can you have Google adwords on a WordPress.com site?
- Blogger consultancy. Good uptake in past with big family and grocery brands, must reignite interest.
- Increase work income – one extra client (I run a PR agency), but do I really have the time?!
- Finish and publish my children’s book and hope for Potter-style success. But how much will it cost me to publish it?
- Adult rate phone lines…… well, times are tough!!! I really doubt I have it in me to get someone excited over the phone though!!!! Back to the drawing board*
- Rent my son our for modelling jobs…he’d like it, honest.
So who has a magic answer for me? I quite fancy going and watching Thelma’s Girls so comments between now and 11pm – and on an ongoing basis of course, most appreciated. I need to find my money making forte!
* For those who haven’t been here before and aren’t sure on my humour, I’m not serious….mostly not.
Original image from images_of_money Flickr Creative Commons.